The South African who allegedly stabbed LGBTQI+ activist, Lindokuhle Cele will be spending the next 25 years in prison.
This man identified as Mvuyisi Noguda stabbed the activist 21 times and ended his life prematurely.
He committed the crime in February last year and has been on trial since that time, however, he was sentenced on Monday, March 29 after he was found guilty of murder by a Durban High Court.
Cele’s aunt who had become a mother to him said she was relieved that justice was served for her son and they had closure.
In her submission, she said;
“I am grateful to all of the love and support from everyone who has been on this journey with us.
It has been long but we persevered, some people would have quit, but their love and support sustained us. Twenty-five years in prison will not bring my son back but it must serve as a warning.
A week before he passed, he told me that if he died before achieving his dreams he would fight from the afterlife and that is what he has done. To me, he has been fighting with us for justice.
Lindo was a bubbly, loving, and caring soul who brought laughter and warmth wherever he went. He was proud to be in the LGBTQI+ community and to all those who feel discriminated against or hated, be Lindo. We are all humans, keep pushing, keep fighting for those equality rights.”
According to a report by the Sunday Tribune, the suspect pleaded guilty to murdering Cele but defended his actions stating that he believed the activist drugged and raped him and he acted out of anger.
However, his guilty plea was outrightly rejected and the president indicated in ruling that the plea was not an indication of remorse, rather the realisation of overwhelming and watertight evidence.